COLLOIDAL SILVER – A SUPER ANTIBIOTIC OR POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS FAD?

Colloidal silver is widely promoted as a super-antibiotic and a cure for everything by many American multi-level marketing and health food companies.

It is claimed that colloidal silver is virtually non-toxic, however silver toxicity from the indiscriminate use of silver products, industrial exposure and even environmental dietary sources, is well-recognized in medical literature.

Due to wide industrial applications, an historically high incidence of silver toxicity has been reported.

The current reference dose of oral silver exposure is 5 ug/kg/day with a critical dose estimated at 14 ug/kg/day for the average person, thus the maximal silver exposure for a 70 kg adult should be less than 350 ug/day.   As food and water supplies often provide as much as 300 ug of silver per day, additional forms such as colloidal silver, particularly when taken long term, can add an unnecessary and potentially dangerous exposure to consumers.

Silver readily denatures proteins by binding to reactive groups of proteins, causing precipitation.

Silver inactivates enzymes and is deposited in the liver.  Animal research has demonstrated that silver accumulates widely in the body.   Upon absorption the highest concentrations are found in the skin, liver, spleen and adrenals, with lesser deposits in the muscles and brain.

Silver deposits have been found in the walls of most blood vessels, kidneys, heart and testes, and has been reported to cause nerve defects including vertigo, gait disturbance, weakness, nausea, headache, tiredness, nervousness and abdominal pains.

Some researchers have suggested that Vitamin E or Selenium deficiency may increase susceptibility to systemic silver toxicity.

The potential long-term risk of toxicity from colloidal silver exceeds the benefits.

Share This
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.